-

Friday, July 6, 2007

5 linux annoyances

I have been using Linux as my primary system for more than 5 years. I started with Mandrake, went to Alt, then Debian, now my main system is Gentoo. And It is definitely the best OS there is, but nothing is perfect and here's a list of things that bother me. I'm not saying that Windows or OSX outperforms Linux in any of those. In fact they usually do worse.
  1. Lack of planning and standards - a lot of applications seem to be developed sporadically and without much planning. And that's understandable to a degree, considering the fact that most developers work during their free time and are not obligated to anything. But with the larger projects there should be more planning involved. For example GNOME-VFS and KDE-ioslaves should be using some sort of common backend instead of each trying to implement things their way. And not to mention that those layers are totally inaccessible from console programs. However, things seem to start moving to the right direction with stuff like DBUS, HAL and FUSE.
  2. Lack of innovation - this is of course very subjective, but I there doesn't seem to be much new stuff happening. Both Gnome and KDE pretty much mimic windows(or OSX), but they actually do things right, unlike windows. I'm not saying they should come up with some crazy 4-D interface, but in essence they are all just windows 95 clones. Same thing on the console front. While there are a lot of interesting developments like Plan 9, Linux is just a copy of any other unix. And *nix architecture is the best there is, don't get me wrong. But a lot of modern technologies don't fit very elegantly to the *nix world. As mentioned earlier - a lot of graphical staff doesn't really interface with console too well. But again there seems to be some nice stuff happening with KDE4 which actually does something new.
  3. Tons of redundant work - I think having a lot of distros is great. Some are more suited for home, some for servers, etc. But right now there are just too many. It seems like a lot of effort is wasted just repackaging every library and every application for every distro. I might be wrong, but I don't see any difference between rpm and deb - lets just settle on some common standard. We have one good source based distro - Gentoo. Why create arch linux which does pretty much the same stuff just a little bit differently?
  4. The community is a myth - well, this is a problem that just I faced myself. There is of course a great community, but if you have any question that is not frequently asked, then you are pretty much on your own(and this is even worse with windows, so don't get a wrong message here) I've discovered that if you can't find an answer by just searching for it then it will be no use asking on a forum or a mail list - nobody will know anyways. And a little side note: I hate mail lists. They might have worked well in the 90's but I don't understand why would anyone use them today. Any forum is much easier to use and more user-friendly, while doing the same thing.
  5. Other stuff that is not really Linux's fault - we all know who to blame for lack of device drivers, games and software. That is not even remotely linux fault, that some companies fail to provide device specifications or at least to release a closed source driver. But I really hate it that I can't use my Creative x-fi sound card in linux.

No comments: